Winter Camping Tips
Don’t let the cold weather keep you from your favorite outdoor activities. Here are some winter camping tips from the Polar Bottle crew to keep you adventuring all winter long.
Camping is the best activity for disconnecting from your stress, relaxing, and enjoying the beauty of nature. Unplugging from technology and the stress of everyday life can help you sleep better and feel less anxious. Additionally, being in nature is also good for your overall mood. Exercise, especially outdoors, is crucial for your mental health and can significantly prevent or reduce symptoms of depression. And physical activity of any kind will keep your body in good health.
So what are you waiting for? Here are some great tips from some of our favorite backpacking and camping experts.
Beginners guide (courtesy of Backpacker Magazine):
Pick a scenic and sheltered destination with available firewood and near open water
- Know the weather forecast before you go.
- Dress in layers, even if this means overdressing. Bring warm, waterproof boots.
- Make sure your sleeping bag will suffice for long and cold nights.
- Many three-season tents are perfectly adequate unless you expect heavy snow or high winds.
- Don’t forget sunglasses and sunscreen.
- You need calories to stay warm, so bring enough to eat
- At camp, put on all your warm clothes immediately upon arrival
- Plan to spend lots of bag time, so have a leisure activity to pass the dark hours.
- When you get up in the morning, go for a walk so you are warm when it is time to break camp.
10 Beginner camping mistakes (courtesy of Go Camping Australia):
- Not researching where you are going
- Not trying your equipments before you leave home
- Relying off of a campfire
- Buying cheap, low-quality goods
- Spending too much for being new to the hobby
- Shivering at night due to improper bedding
- Arriving late to the campsite
- Underestimating the importance of light
- Leaving good and garbage accessible
- Forgetting that it’s meant to be enjoyable
Best camping water bottles:
FOLLOW US IN OUR SOCIAL MEDIA